May 8, 2009

Gourmet Lunch - Farm to Table

Almost 2 months ago my mother came to Maui to celebrate her 70th birthday. I created a magical week for her. On her actual birthday we woke up in the morning to do yoga on the beach. It was raining. That's a rare occasion in Kihei (desert!). She saw a rainbow and was so happy. It was a day full of surprises. I wouldn't tell her what we were going to do. I know I was excited. We were going to the O'O Farm in Kula to pick our fresh produce and have a chef prepare a lunch for us. It was raining but we picked fresh peapods and greens. It was so awesome.
The rain made the experience even more memorable. We were given rain capes and were shown the property. The guides are not only knowledgeable, but dedicated to their work on the farm. They have a selection of produce for their restaurants on Front Street, I'O and Pacifico.

Here on Maui I am continuously amazed at the ingenuity, dedication, love and commitment people here have to the land and to continued improvement. This working farm is an amazing example of this.

I know our meal under the rain covering with our wine and fresh bread was the perfect way to spend a day with my mom.

No comments: