June 29, 2009

Cooking with Children

I am quite efficient in the kitchen and usually work by myself. However, cooking classes and sharing information with people is one of my greatest pleasures. I have had the opportunity to cook with children on a number of occasions and they are some of my favorite moments. When I get back to Michigan I love cooking with my nieces and nephews. The photo on the left is my niece enjoying my mini pumpkin chocolate muffins. The one on the right is my oldest niece helping prepare a homemade pizza for her and her brothers. Kids get bored easily so it's important to make things that they really like and that they can participate in and be a part of. One of my nephews to this day remembers helping make hummus. It was a fun day! That's what I remember.

One of my favorite "how to" meals with children is making pizza. We even make homemade dough and sauce and the kids can put on the toppings of their choice on mini pizzas. Smiling is good. Laughing is even better. And a little seriousness in the kitchen and awillingness to learn is really wonderful. Cooking can be fun, creative and a great thing to do as a family. It's not how many moments you have, it's the moments that take your breath away and that remind you of warm and fuzzy thoughts.

Some of my favorite moments growing up are in the kitchen. I remember dying Easter eggs or making chocolate chip cookies or even making a salad and setting the table. I was involved. Involving children in the every day activities of cooking, eating and preparing food is important.
Teaching healthy eating habits to children is important. However, making chocolate cupcakes and sharing a moment is equally important. Relating fun to food and experiencing something special is as vital as the vitamins and minerals! Here's to your health, now raise that chocolate cupcake!

No comments: