August 12, 2009

Cooking Class on Maui

Cooking Class for 4

When I do a private cooking class I really try to make it specific to the people taking the class. In July 4 women took a class from me. We roasted vegetables, made chicken with rosemary and white wine, made cinnamon crepes filled with mango and a berry sauce and rosemary sweet potato fries as well as my orzo sundried tomato basil feta salad. It's just as much fun for me! I really enjoy the feedback and interacting with the people I am cooking for.
The hardest part for me is to make sure my recipes are right on! I have a hard time keeping up with writing my recipes and keeping an accurate record. I am getting better at it!


Cooking is about the preparation, the ingredients, but most importantly how much fun you have making the food and sharing it with friends! I could hardly get the crepes plated and photographed before the ladies were devouring the crepes that we topped with fresh sweetened whipping cream accented with orange extract.


It's about being creative in the kitchen. It's about sharing with others. It's about making something delicious. And it's about putting yourself into the food so that when you share it with others they taste a little of you! Making a dish is like sand art. It doesn't matter how long it took to make it or make it look beautiful, it can disappear in a bite!

Eat well and enjoy the people in your life!

Filled Mango Crepes with Sweet Orange Cream and Triple Berry Sauce

Add cinnamon to basic crepe recipe

Mangoes or peaches finely diced

Sweetened Oange Whipping Cream :
2 c. Heavy Cream
1/2 c. powdered sugar,
1 tbls. orange extract
Beat to high peaks.

Cinnamon for spinkling

Triple Berry Sauce:
4 cups frozen mixed berries
1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp. lime zest
1 1/2 tbls. cornstarch
1 tsp. lemon juice
Thaw frozen berries with sugar and zest. Take juice and heat with cornstarch. Add thawed berries. Add lemon juice to taste. Can be made and refrigerated for several days.

Assembly:
Take 1 prepared crepe.
Add 1/4 c, diced mangoes or peaches on 1/3 crepe.
Place 2 tbls. berry sauce on plate.
Roll. Top with 2 tbls. more berry sauce
Add dollops of orange whipping cream and sprinkle with cinnamon.


No comments: